Landlord/Tenant Representation in Portland
Clark Law and Associates handles Landlord / Tenant cases in the greater Portland Area. If a landlord-tenant case is litigated, the losing party may be required to pay the winning party’s attorney fees. Thus, it is important to obtain legal advice from an attorney licensed in Oregon prior to making any mistakes that could subject you to the opposing party’s attorney fees under ORS 90.255.
At Clark Law and Associates in Portland, we accept cases from landlords or tenants, provided that they are not opposing parties.
Our initial consultation fee is $300.00/hour. When you call, one of our legal assistants or attorneys, they will do a conflict check, then take a short intake regarding your landlord-tenant issues and make an appointment. Please bring all relevant documentation to your consultation for attorney review including the following:
- Copy of lease
- Copies of all correspondence. Please use a program to download and print all text messages or take screenshots and print. Most courts will not allow you to submit your cell phone into evidence and require you print out all text messages.
- Copies of all letters and notices
- Relevant photos
- Anything else relevant to your situation.
Since there are reciprocal attorney fees under the landlord/tenant act, we may give more conservative advice than some of our clients want to hear. This is because if you file a lawsuit or have a lawsuit filed against you and lose, you will be liable for the opposing party’s attorney fees, which could run into thousands of dollars.
In some cases, we merely advise how to position yourself in relation to a particular landlord situation. At other times, we can draft a letter on your behalf and/or file a lawsuit.
For further rate information please see:
Why don’t we give free legal advice in Portland? Our legal assistants receive multiple phone calls daily requesting free legal advice. We cannot responsibly reply to multiple daily phone calls answering “just one quick question” regarding landlord-tenant matters for multiple reasons:
- At minimum, we need to review your rental agreement and all communications before rendering a legal opinion
- We are responsible for the advice given. Lawyers can be sued if they fail to meet the professional standard of care. Thus, it is importation that attorneys at Clark Law and Associates fully understand the landlord/tenant matter and review all relevant documents in relation to existing Oregon law before giving any advice. Most medical doctors are not willing to answer one “quick question” and make a diagnosis over the phone to a new patient. In order to render a responsible medical opinion, medical doctors must do a full patient evaluation. Likewise, lawyers cannot responsibly render a legal opinion without a full evaluation of the facts
- Oregon attorneys must carry professional liability insurance. We try to keep the price of malpractice insurance down by giving responsible legal advice. Additionally, there are ethical issues about giving advice without spending the time necessary to understand all of the facts, not just the facts within in the “quick question”
- Like other businesses, if we worked for free we could not stay in business. Like other businesses, we have overhead. In order to be an Oregon lawyer, one must have a doctorate degree in law. Thus, we incur huge student loans to give the advice we give
If you have further questions for our Portland team of attorneys or would like to retain Clark Law and Associates for your Landlord/Tenant case, give our Portland law office a call. A member of our team will gladly help!