What to do after a dog bite

 Dog Bite To-Do List:

Portland attorney and client meeting

  • Seek appropriate medical attention.
  • You likely need shots to prevent infection.
  • For any liability claim, you need to medically document your injuries.
  • Obtain the name, address and phone number of the dog owner and/or who was in control of the dog at the time of the bite.
  • Most home owners and many renters have insurance.  Explain to the dog owner that their insurance will likely cover your bills and we pay for insurance for incidents like dog bites.
  • Request the vaccination history of the dog.  If the dog has not had rabies shots, you should inform your medical provider(s).
  • Write down a description of the dog, including the breed.
  • Save any of the dog hairs or other evidence from the dog for future lab testing, as the identity of the dog may come into question.
  • Obtain name, address and phone number, emails of any witnesses, along with alternate contact information. Witness include those who saw the dog bite you and those that saw the dog bite anyone else. Witnesses can also include those that witnessed the aftermath of the event in question.
  • Take photographs / video of the injury and any other evidence.
  • Call Clark Law and Associates, LLC at 503-238-1010, preferably before you give a statement to any insurance agent.
  • Report the incident to your local animal control.
  • If the dog is a known dangerous dog with a history of attacking people, it may be appropriate to make a police report, especially in the event of serious injury or death, as the owner may be guilty of an Oregon crime. See ORS 609.098.  In Washington State a dog owner may also be guilty of a crime if their dog attacks a person or other animals.  See RCW 16.08.030 and RCW 16.08.100(3).

If you have questions about any of the above, give our Portland law firm a call and speak with our highly trained team of legal professionals!

Comments are closed